Thursday, October 31, 2013

Revisit Woven Shibori and Card Weaving

I know you are all waiting with baited breath to see if this worked or not, right?  The original post where I wove the bands is here.  I was fairly optimistic about something interesting happening on dye day, but unlike the iridescent experiment, I was disappointed.

Here are the samples before everything was gathered...


Here are the samples all knotted for the dye pot.  I tried different techniques for incorporating the ties into the weave.

Freshly removed from the dye pots.

And the winner is?????  Fail.  Not in a big way, but in a small way in which the effort to weave in the ties wasn't nearly worth the result you get from the dye pot.

Others had great success transferring their different weave structures into dye resists.  We had Monk's Belt, and Overshot represented, as well as twills.



 
 
The final analysis?  If you weave black and white bands, and you want to add interest by throwing them in a dye pot, I would simply use a tie dye technique on the finished bands.  Tie resists around the entire bands instead of weaving the ties into the band.  You'll get basically the same result with much less effort during the weaving process.
 
But I thank my good fiber friend Amy for continually pushing me to try new techniques with my bands.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they are always educational!

No comments:

Post a Comment